I am not much of a baker. I was recently contacted by the MOD as my biscuits could serve as an eco-friendly alternative to anti-tank munitions.
However, I do have a very easy recipe for flapjacks, which I have modified for the Christmas season.
6oz porridge oats
5oz self raising flour
4oz of mixed dried fruit – I use a mix of chopped apricots, chopped dates, cranberries and sultanas.
4oz unsalted butter
4oz soft brown sugar
2tbsp golden syrup
1tsp bicarb of soda
- Mix the oats, flour, dried fruit and spices in a bowl.
- In a pan, add the butter, sugar and syrup. Melt it over a low heat, stirring all the while.
- Add the bicarb of soda – it might foam a little.
- Add the melted butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pack the mixture into a square cake tin, patting down firmly and ensuring it is level.
- Cook in an oven that has been preheated to 175 deg C for 12-15 minutes.
- After taking it out of the oven, allow it to cool for 30 mins before taking it out of the tin and cutting it into squares.